Nikita Stanley and Aleks Jassem

Nikita Stanley and Aleks Jassem Rebel Mama(s)

Self-proclaimed “mommy group dropouts”, Nikita Stanley and Aleks Jassem reconnected when they were both somewhat shellshocked moms-to-be, quickly bonding over their mutual distaste for the antiquated vision of motherhood they found online.

“The Rebel Mama came into being in 2014—the year we both also birthed humans. It was our way of testing the water, seeing how people would react to brutal honesty, subversive visuals, dark humour, and feminist discourse in a ‘mom blog’. (So far so good!)

“Our main mission has always been to add a different voice to the bigger conversation about motherhood. It’s important the world sees that there’s more than one type of woman who can be a (good) mom.”

From casual musings to a full-blown handbook, The Rebel Mama published their first book in August 2018. We chatted with them about main moments, dressing for mom-hood, and why celebrities are just like us.

On Milestones

“The day we opened a box of our books for the first time. It was an out of body experience. The most epic moment. It’s seared into our brains forever now.”

On Community (and Beyoncé)

“From our community, we’ve learned that we’re all living parallel lives. No matter where you live, what you do, who you are, if you’ve got kids, you’re dealing with the same bullshit as everyone else. It’s just solidified our feelings about how ridiculous it is to judge or disparage another parent. Beyoncé’s probably dealing with a toddler meltdown as we speak.”

On Fashion & Motherhood

“If you love fashion, that doesn’t go away after you have kids. We just had to reel it in a little. Which was a great challenge, actually. It forced us to hone in on our style more so than follow trends (because honestly - who’s got the time?). We shop less for sure. Our financial priorities are different now. But that’s for the best. For everyone. Including the planet.”

On Uniforms

“Denim and boots. Usually with a solid colour on top and some bold accessories to keep everything feeling fresh. 99% of the time, that’s our outfit formula—day or night. The other 1% of the time we go totally over the top. Like, Studio 54 over the top.”

Nikita Stanley and Aleks Jassem are the Toronto-based Founders of The Rebel Mama, an online publication, guidebook and community for modern moms.

Photographed at the Gladstone Hotel

Worn by Nikita Stanley and Aleks Jassem

Nikita wears the Culotte Sweatpants and Fitted Turtleneck in S, and the Relaxed Cardigan in XS.Aleks wears the Fitted Turtleneck in S, Culotte Trousers in 4, and Cropped Sweatshirt in M.